Let The Games Begin...
The Pittsburgh Penguins today will report to camp for physicals and team photos.
The official roster has not been released, but a preliminary look can be found here. Note that there are bound to be some significant changes.
So here is what we know for sure:
- 50 players, not including Ryan Whitney, have been invited to camp, and an official roster should be made available at some point today
- Among those who participated in rookie camp who made the cut are forwards Luca Caputi, Dustin Jeffrey, and Casey-Pierro Zabotel; defenseman Alex Goligoski; and goalies John Curry and Dan Brown.
- Roster cuts will begin much earlier than usual, as the team will head to Europe in 10 days with a 24-man roster (one player more than typically allowed during regular season games).
- With just four preseason games before the trip to Europe, coach Michel Therrien said he wants the NHL players to play in at least three games each, meaning few youngsters with little chance to make the team will dress.
- Few roster positions have been determined, though it seems likely newly-acquired forward Miroslav Satan will get the longest look on Sidney Crosby’s right side and Jordan Staal on Evgeni Malkin and Petr Sykora left side.
- There are no plans for where Ruslan Fedotenko and Janne Pesonen will fit into the lineup, though Pesonen is expected to be used on both wings.
Source: Pittsburgh Post-Gazette