Olympic Report: 2/24
No upsets in the qualifying round, but that could change today, as matchups are much more even heading into the quarterfinals.
Today’s Quarterfinals Schedule
- Switzerland vs. United States at 3:00 p.m. on NBC, V, SNET
- Canada vs. Russia at 7:30p.m. on CNBC, CTV, V
- Czech Republic vs. Finland at 10:00 p.m. on CNBC, TSN, V
- Slovakia vs. Sweden at 11:59 p.m. on CNBC, CTV, RDS
Monday’s Qualifying Results
Switzerland (8) defeats Belarus (9) – 3-2 (OT)
- Switzerland Goals: J. Sprunger (PPG), H. Domenichelli (PPG)
- Belarus Goals: A. Kalyuzhny, K. Zakharov
Canada (6) defeats Germany (11) – 8-2
- Canada Goals: J. Thornton, S. Weber, J. Iginla (PPG), J. Iginla, S. Crosby, M. Richards, S. Niedermayer, R. Nash
- Germany Goals: M. Goc, M. Klinge
Czech Republic (5) defeats Latvia (12) – 3-2
- Czech Goals: T. Rolinek (PP), T. Fleischmann, D. Krejci
- Latvia Goals: M. Cipulis, M. Redlihs
Slovakia (7) defeats Norway (10) – 4-3
- Slovakia Goals: M. Handzus (PPG), M. Gaborik (PPG), R. Zednik (PPG), M. Satan
- Norway Goals: M. Zuccarello Aasen, T. Vikingstad, A. Bastiansen
- Dejan Kovacevic: At The Olympics. Kovacevic does a liveblog for each game, then seeks out Penguins and ex-Penguins for post-game interviews. I highly recommend following his first-hand blog.
Jagr Leaves Tuesday’s Game With Injury
John Dellapina of NBCOlympics.com is reporting that an early departure by Jaromir Jagr during last night’s Czech win over Latvia stems back to a hit by Russian forward Alex Ovechkin Sunday afternoon.
The injury, which forced Jagr to leave within the first minute of the second period last night, is being described as a sore neck.
“We hope he’ll be available to play (today),” Czech coach Vladimir Ruzicka said . “We believe he will be ready. And obviously, we’re hoping he can play the whole game.”
Scary Incident In Slovakia/Norway Game
The visuals were horrific Tuesday evening as Slovakian forward Lubos Barteko took an elbow to his head.
The illegal hit, dished out by Norwegian defenseman Ole-Kristian Tollefsen, knocked off Barteko’s helmet and caused him to land on the ice head first.
After laying in a pool of blood for nearly 10 minutes while being assisted by medical staff, Barteko was taken off the ice on a stretcher and is said to have suffered a concussion and had to be stitched up.
For his actions, Tollefsen earned 25 minutes of penalties.
Now that we’re into the medal tournament, we’ll be following a bracket system, as opposed to a point-based standings system.