After coming off of an overtime loss against Holy Cross last weekend, Robert Morris was looking to rebound against a Sacred Heart team that had struggled to start the season.

Chad Filteau’s power-play goal 5:09 into the first period was not what Robert Morris had in mind to start off their season at Clearview Arena at the ISC.

However, it wasn’t long before RMU would begin to turn the tide and carry the play.

Four minutes after Sacred Heart had shocked the home crowd, Nathan Longpre etched his name in the RMU record books with his 6th goal of the season on an absolutely ridiculous snipe from the right circle.

Sacred Heart goaltender Steven Legatto stopped 21 first period shots, but he had absolutely no chance on the burner from Longpre that went top left corner.

With that goal, Peterborough native Longpre is now tied for second in the RMU record books for career goals.

The momentum RMU had would quickly shift, however, and Sacred Heart would take full control of the game on two questionable goals.

Within a 30 second stretch in the final minute of the period, Sacred Heart netted two goals (power-play and even strength) to shock the colonial faithful and take a 3-1 lead into the second period despite being grossly outplayed.

Head Coach Derek Schooley responded with a goaltender change, pulling Brooks Ostergard in favor of Eric Levine.

RMU netted their second of the game off of the stick of Furman South to take the Sacred Heart lead to 1. The goal extended South’s point streak to five games.

The momentum wouldn’t last, however, as goaltender Eric Levine was left hung out to dry after he stopped two consecutive chances before David Berube extended Sacred Heart’s lead to 2 with six minutes remaining in the second. Berube roofed a loose puck just outside the crease passed a sprawling Levine. Berube, who was by and large Sacred Heart’s best player, was untouched en route to the garbage goal.

RMU wasn’t done and the stage was set for some third period dramatics.

Denny Urban scored his second of the year on the power-play just 1:50 into the third and the 600+ in attendance started making some noise for the colonials.

RMU went all out for the rest of the game, testing Sacred Heart at every chance. With 2:09 remaining, they were awarded a power-play, and the onslaught began.

RMU pulled Eric Levine for the extra attacker with 1:30 to go, and had nothing but offensive chances after that.

Depsite their best efforts, Sacred Heart blocked key shots and got sticks in lanes to prevent clean chances for RMU.

With 59 seconds remaining, Derek Schooley called a timeout before an offensive zone draw to refresh his troops. On the ensuing faceoff, RMU maintained posession, and fired at least 8 shots to the goal in 20 seconds before the next whistle blew.

Off of a faceoff with 33 to go, RMU won the draw and fired it in to tie the game and force overtime. Trevor Lewis was set up by Denny Urban and Chris Kushneriuk.

Despite having a power-play with 50 seconds to go in overtime, RMU couldn’t crack Sacred Heart for the win, and the teams tied.

RMU has moved to 6-2-1 on the year, they have equalized in every game they’ve trailed this year, and they remain undefeated in regulation. RMU continues to hold first place in Atlantic Hockey.

The teams will meet again tonight at 7:05 in Clearview Arena. We will be tweeting all night from the game – follow @jmarshhhh